chiesa di Laviano

CHURCH OF SAINTS VITO and MODESTO
X sec.

Laviano Interno Chiesa

The church where she prayed the little Margaret, and from where she left to go to Cortona and begin her life of penance. Situated on a small hill just before Laviano, it dates back during the eleventh century and partially preserved the original structure. In 1749 the church was reopened for worship after performing the necessary restoration. In 1967 it was restored and during this operation workers discovered inside a Romanesque arch and outside a Gothic portal. This restoration has also included the construction of the plank flooring in oak wood made by processing the original beams from the roof of 1749. It was used in the Rectangular Hall with the presbytery raised by one step. Two little doors on the back wall give access to the sacristy (preserved in its original state).

 
The return of Margaret

The return of Margaret

Bronze Crucifix

Bronze Crucifix

Romanesque Arc

Romanesque Arc

 

Inside the Sanctuary there is a beautiful Bronze Crucifix, the work of G. Mazzullo and the Altar whose memorial,( in Sirena Tuoro stone), comes from Cortona and, specifically, from the demolished church of St. Basil who in 1290 had it restored at his own expense. The niche of the holy oil has been moved to the right of the presbytery.
Above the side altars of 1700, two paintings: one representing an Ecstasy of St. Anthony and the other The Return of Margaret, this picture tells how on a Sunday she reappears in Laviano to tell those attending Mass, to tell of her young life and to ask forgiveness. Even this picture is attributed to Anton Maria Garbi, and the central figure of the composition is a Lady of the Oddi family, the same as in the mid '700 completely restored in the little church.
Next to the door, an Etruscan funeral urn serves as Stoup and, next door, a wooden urn that contains a replica of the Santa Margherita’s body, the work of the nuns of Lucca, dating from the late '700.
Until 1997 it was considered a place of worship, but also a small building that tradition has long been considered to be the home of Santa Margherita. Following legal affairs, the property, however, was attributed to other entities.

AIzaSyCKwM6ZT77-Uif6zkSBQCIjEFdOaFXWMvw

This web site makes use only of technical cookies

By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.